|Birthname||Richard Morrow Groat|
|born on||4 November 1930 at 03:35 (= 03:35 AM )|
|Place||Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, 40n27, 79w53|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||11°12' 16°53 Asc. 01°23'|
American athlete at Duke University in 1951, playing basketball in his junior year in spite of being only 1.80 m (5'11"). He moved into baseball as a shortstop, and fresh out of school signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates on 16 June 1952. He played his first pro game in the major leagues three days later.
Groat was drafted into the U.S. Army on 5 January 1954. He moved back with the Pirates in 1955, and married on 11 November 1955. His peak year was 1960, playing the World Series. He was named winner of the Lou Gehrig Memorial Award on 31 December 1960.
He played for the Pittsburgh Pirates (1952–1962), St. Louis Cardinals (1963–1965), Philadelphia Phillies (1966–1967) and San Francisco Giants (1967).
In November 1955, Groat married Barbara Womble, a former model who worked in New York City. They had three daughters together: Tracey, Carol Ann, and Allison. Dick and Barbara were married for 35 years, until her death from lung cancer in 1990.
On 27 April 2023, he died at UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh at the age of 92 from complications of a stroke he had a week prior.
- associate relationship with Clemente, Roberto (born 18 August 1934). Notes: Pittsburgh Pirates teammates, 1955-1962
- associate relationship with Fondy, Dee (born 31 October 1924). Notes: Pittsburgh Pirates teammates, 1957
- associate relationship with Friend, Bob (born 24 November 1930). Notes: Pittsburgh Pirates teammates, 1952-1962
- associate relationship with Gibson, Bob (born 9 November 1935). Notes: St. Louis Cardinals teammates, 1963-1965
- associate relationship with Hogue, Cal (born 24 October 1927). Notes: Pittsburgh Pirates teammates, 1952-1954
- associate relationship with Jackson, Al (born 26 December 1935). Notes: Pittsburgh Pirates teammates, 1959, 1961
- associate relationship with Pettit, Paul (born 29 November 1931). Notes: Pittsburgh Pirates teammates, 1953
- associate relationship with Roberts, Curt (born 16 August 1929). Notes: Pittsburgh Pirates teammates, 1954-1956
- associate relationship with Waugh, Jim (born 25 November 1933). Notes: Pittsburgh Pirates teammates, 1952-1953
- other kin relationship with Koepka, Brooks (born 3 May 1990). Notes: Great-uncle/ great-nephew
Contemporary American Horoscopes.
- Traits : Body : Size (Short for basketball, 1.80 m, 5 ft 11 in)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Stroke (Terminal)
- Lifestyle : Work : Work in team/ Tandem (Basketball and baseball team)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (Stroke)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 92)
- Vocation : Military : Military service (Army)
- Vocation : Sports : Baseball (Pro team)
- Vocation : Sports : Basketball
- Notable : Awards : Sports Championship (Lou Gehrig Memorial Award)
- 1930 births
- Birthday 4 November
- Birthplace Wilkinsburg, PA (US)
- Sun 11 Scorpio
- Moon 16 Aries
- Asc 1 Libra
- 2023 deaths
- Traits : Body : Size
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Stroke
- Lifestyle : Work : Work in team/ Tandem
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs
- Vocation : Military : Military service
- Vocation : Sports : Baseball
- Vocation : Sports : Basketball
- Notable : Awards : Sports Championship